Monday, January 21, 2008

Greatest Invention Ever!

So I mentioned that Wade, my 19 month old, is a climber. He learned at about 16 months old how to climb out of his crib. At first it was cute, and I'm not gonna lie, it was nice that he just got himself up in the morning. After a few months of Spencer and I putting him back in bed 30-40 times at night it was not so cute anymore. I thought I was pretty creative one night because I took his backpack harness and put it on him and wrapped it very tight around the bars of his crib so he could not even stand up. He cried a lot but he eventually fell asleep. The next night Spencer tried the same trick. After a few minutes I heard Gavin calling me, "Mom, mom! Wade needs help!" So I went running into their room to find Wade hanging on the outside of his crib by his harness. Spencer had not wrapped it tight enough around the bars. So I had to ban the harness idea. Then I found a 'crib tent' in a baby store. Our lives have been changed and we deem the crib tent the 'Greatest Invention Ever'! (If you work for Child Protective Services, the above story is Fiction.)

3 comments:

Hemphill Family said...

That's great! I'm so glad none of my kids have climbed out of their crib.

Amy said...

I am loving the crib tent. I have a nurse acquaintance that uses one to keep her kid in so she can get a couple hours of safe sleep after working a night shift. It totally surprises me that Spencer's job turned into something slightly funny. I grew up with him and have seen a lot of his attempts blunder a little bit. That is why we like being around him so much--he always made us laugh. Now that Wade is caged there is no reason to ever take him out of a crib!! Hopefully he won't be able to figure out the locking mechanism too quickly!!

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

HILARIOUS!! LOL! I had only heard of using that tent for outdoors. Great for the crib too! Kirra used to climb out, but nothing like Wade. Funny! Great job Mom catching him in action with pictures. So funny to see. Also, love the ending line about the "child services." LOL!