Friday, April 11, 2008

Gavin's 4th Birthday Celebration!

17 months


Our little Gavin is turning 4 on Saturday, April 12th. Since we will be out of town for the weekend we had a little get together with some family on Wednesday night for some cake and ice cream. I can't believe it's been 4 years since we were waiting for little Gavin to arrive... We were so excited to be expecting baby #2. When we found out it was another boy we were happy that Chase would have a buddy. We didn't have a name picked out right away like we did for Chase, so we just kept thinking on that one. I was still sick with this pregnancy and it became hard for me to care for Chase when I could hardly get myself up off the couch. I did teach dance all the way through this pregnancy, until the week before I delivered. We weighed out the options of a repeat C-section or a V-back. We, along with our doctor, decided the repeat C-section was the best way to go. I was not looking forward to the recovery of another C-section, but the nice thing was that we got to pick the day our baby would be born. We could wait to pack our bags until the night before! We were happy that we wouldn't have to guess when the baby would come, or so we thought. We had chosen April 23rd for the C-section. He was due April 30th, and you have to go a week early. It was April 11th, Easter Sunday, I was feeling especially tired and sickish that day. We went to church and then after all the family went to Grandma Lundblad's house for Easter dinner. My mom was telling me that I didn't look so well that day (mom's always know best). She said we should go home and just rest. We went home and went to bed. The next thing I knew I was standing up next to my bed breathing through a contraction. It was almost midnight. Spencer got up and we decided to call my mom to come over and stay with Chase because I was having a few contractions. She of course raced over. It was midnight and we told her we would probably be back in a couple hours, figuring they would just give me a shot to stop my contractions. For some odd reason I told Spencer to grab the cameras just in case... nothing else. We got to the hospital and they admitted us because I was having contractions, and they gave me a shot to stop them. They kept me on a monitor to see if it was working. After a couple hours in an uncomfortable hospital bed and chair, Spencer and I managed to fall asleep. As soon as we did, a couple of nurses came in and flipped the light on and said, "The doctor has decided to deliver your baby!" What! Not again! We weren't ready, and at 3 1/2 weeks early we worried about the baby. That was it. We had about 1 minute of time when the nurses stepped out and Spencer gave me a blessing. I told him to run down to the car and grab the cameras. As he did that the nurses came back in and began to prep me. We called our parents to let them know what was going on. In the midst of them prepping me I never saw Spencer come back in and they began to wheel me to the operating room. I kept asking where Spencer was and no one knew. Come to find out, much later, he was in the bathroom... let's just say he has a nervous stomach and was shocked by the news. We all made it into the delivery room and of course Spencer and I were behind the sheet crying as the doctors cut me open. We were so relieved to hear the baby's first cry. They cleaned and wrapped him up and brought him to Spencer. We were used to this situation, so Spencer knew to put him to my face so I could kiss him. He was beautiful! Thank goodness we had settled on a name a couple weeks earlier.... Gavin Spencer Nelson....April 12th, 2004....4:20am....7 lbs. 1 oz.... 19 1/2 inches. We love you so much Gavin. Happy 4th birthday!

4 comments:

Angela said...

Happy Birthday Gavin! We love you..from your cousins in Utah. Have a wonderful day.

Ashley Christensen said...

Looks like so much fun Emily! Please wish Gavin a Happy Birthday from me, I would call but you are sooooo busy!!!!

Anne Marie said...

Thanks for sharing that story. I don't think I ever knew what happened other than he was born over 3 weeks early. I hope he had a fun day.

Amy said...

It is amazing how quickly 4 years go by isn't it?? Happy Birthday Gav!! Sorry it is late, we just got home!