Thursday, February 7, 2008

Perfectly ruined birthday cake...

Photobucket
Well, Tuesday, February 5th was my 31st birthday. At this age I am not concerned with a party or gifts for my birthday (my husband did get me a fabulous gift though :). Instead I told my husband that I wanted a really yummy cake. My mom was having dinner with all the family to get together to celebrate and I said I wanted to find my own cake. So my 3 boys and I set out to find 'The Perfect Cake'! We went to a few places and our last stop was a nice bakery near our home (where I actually got my wedding cake). They had the cutest pink and orange plaid cake with white daisies on it. I had them write 'Happy Birthday Emily' on it and was on my way. I was so excited and my boys were too. Wade must have said 'cake' 400 times on our 3 minute drive home. When we got home I put my cake, which was in a box, on the counter. The boys wanted to look at it one more time so I lifted them each up to see my perfect cake. My sister called just then to wish me a happy birthday and ofcourse I had to step into my office for 5 minutes of uninterrupted time. I realize now that this is where I went wrong. When I came out and went into the kitchen I found Wade (my 19 mo old) on a chair that he had pushed up to the counter. And with the biggest face-full-of-cake grin he said "Cake!" He had reached his little fingers into the box and swiped off a good portion of the frosting. I then realized it was a typical 'Mom cake' with little fingerprints all over it! We took it to the party anyway and had a wonderful time with some good food (thanks mom and dad) and a Perfectly Ruined Birthday Cake! (On the up side, my kids guessed that I was turning 12... I must still look pretty decent.)

2 comments:

Hemphill Family said...

Happy Birthday Emily. At least you won't forget this birthday. That's a cute story.

Grandma Martin said...

Emily...I am so glad you had a Happy Birthday!! I am sure it is one you will always remember...What a great story...I am sure there will be many more to come...I wish so much I could of been there...Love you so much...Mom (Grandma Utah)