Monday, October 27, 2008

My Fears Confirmed

I have to say that naptime is very sacred at our house. I get all crazy and unplug the phone during naptime just to ensure total peace and quietness. Typically we eat lunch and are down for naps between 12:00 and 12:30 pm. But things have had to change around here. Now that Chase is in school all day I leave the phone plugged in and just turn it down. Why? Because I am an overly paranoid mother and it was hard enough for me to let someone else take care of my 'baby' for most of the day, and I feared he would get hurt and someone would need to get ahold of me. Spencer tells me I am too paranoid and I need to cool it (okay, so maybe sometimes I am a little extreme but these are my babies). Well, today that fear was confirmed. I was just about asleep for a nap when the phone rang. I ran to get it so it wouldn't wake up the boys. "Hello, is this Mrs. Nelson?" "Yes..." "This is the nurse from Chase's school and I just wanted to inform you that he was playing on the bars during recess and he fell and cut his head open a little. We stopped the bleeding and have put an ice pack on his head. I think he will be okay, but I will call you back if anything changes." Being a mother of 3 active boys who have had their share of injuries, I didn't panic. I just felt bad that I wasn't there to comfort him and take care of him. So I gave up my precious nap and sat by the phone, just incase. I have to say though, by the looks of it, he could have used 1 stitch (not worth it), but thank goodness it wasn't worse because as luck would have it when they called I hadn't showered, had no makeup on, and my hair was in a 'foof' on top of my head. Phew!

10 comments:

Erin said...

I totally get the leaving the phone open for school to call. I even stay within a 10 minute driving radius so if they call about Autumn and her allergies I can get there quickly!!

Glad to hear he is okay!

Ashley Christensen said...

hahahahahaha Oh man...that last comment made me giggle...it's when we are least ready that these things happen huh? Well I'm glad Chase is ok...tough kids you have there! OOOOOOKKKK!!!!!!!! CAN I PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go with you and the boys next time you go to Disneyland??? I go like once a week, I'm obsessed! That would be so much fun! When are you going next?

all that i love said...

I hope you have good insurance. It sounds like you may be using it a lot as those boys of yours grow up. I'm not pregnant, but I'm with you on the nap thing. I absolutely love nap time! Peace and quiet for even an hour is heaven and it is even better when you can sneek in a quick nap.

TimAprilA said...

Wow... you have one strong brude of boys there ... It is funny though how things like that happen when you know itis but your hoping its not.
ok so that proably didnt make any sense i should be in bed right now hahaha but i cant sleep we dont find out until FRIDAY if we get the house IM GOING CRAZZY!!!!!!

Amy said...

Thank goodness you have the intuition of a mom and not a dad!! I have a hard time turning my phone off too...I have made sure that Jared has Dave's cell phone number written down on a piece of paper in his backpack in case he cannot reach me.

Anne Marie said...

Well, at least it was a little cut. The whole time I was reading it, I thought that he broke his arm or his leg. We've gotten phone calls from the school, but they've only been for when they are sick. Glad he's okay.


Yes, we will have a fish fry soon!!!

Meghan said...

At least you were home... I was on a cruise when the phone call was made that Alyssa had fallen fron the monkey bars and broke her elbow in two spots and was getting ready for surgery! That ruined my trip!!!

Anonymous said...

That's so funny. I'm glad to know I'm not the only obsessed crazy person when it comes to naps. That time is so precious to a mom of small children.

wenselgang said...

How fun to be a mother of all boys - the adventures never end! Hey Em, when are we going to see some prego pictures of you??

Holly and Brad said...

No hard feelings at all. We wish it could have worked out, but we will just have to try again next time we come to town. With all the weddings we will be there before you know it. I believe Cheryl's is next, in July I think, so by then you will have your little one as well.

You are a brave women going for #4. I had no idea how much 2 was going to be. With Chase I was at least able to catch up on sleep whenever he napped, but those days are long gone. I am just waiting for this body of mine to get used to only getting a few hours of sleep a night. Once my body catches up I think it will be much easier.

Good luck on your pregnancy! Keep us posted on how its going!