Trail of Dreams

On a whim I had Chase and Gavin try out for a play that our church was putting on. Of course before I knew it Wade and Ezra were having their mug shots taken too so I filled out forms for them too. They had to go in a room sing a song and do a reading. Chase ended up getting 2 character parts. The other 3 boys were cast as 'pioneer children'. The play was called The Trail of Dreams. It was about the LDS pioneers and their struggles and triumphs they faced as they came to the Salt Lake Valley.
As the practices got under way I realized how long and exhausting this was going to be on me, as I was taking all 4 boys by myself (Spencer was working). After a few practices the director asked me if I would join the play too. I'm guessing she was probably nervous about 4 wild boys being on stage. :) It was a long summer of practices, learning lines & songs, and blocking scenes. But in the end it was a huge testimony building experience for myself and my children. It was completely worth any stress I endured. The boys are already asking when the next play is going to be.
Side note: On the first night of rehearsal, the director asked the cast to keep track of the tender mercies that the Lord would bless us with in putting this play together. So... As the practices went on eventually Gavin asked me when we were going to practice 'his part'. Since Gavin wasn't exactly given a part (other than being cast as a pioneer child) I kept putting him off by saying, "Soon Gav." About a week and a half before the opening night of the play I noticed Gavin tearing up in the backseat as we drove to a rehearsal. I asked him what was wrong and he told me that he was sad that he didn't have a part in the play. It broke my heart that he didn't feel a part of the play because he didn't have a 'real part'. I said a little prayer that I could somehow beg the director for a small line for him. I didn't know how that would actually go down though because the play was well rehearsed and ready to perform. At the end of rehearsal I was trying to rack my brain to think of how I could ask the director for a part for Gavin. Just at that moment the director approached me and told me that the little boy who was playing Johnny Cook, who had a scene of his own, would not be able to make it to 2 of the performances and would Gavin like to learn his part and fill in for those 2 nights. If she only knew how badly I wanted to tackle her and hug her! My prayer had been answered. When I told Gavin he had a HUGE smile on his face. That was my little tender mercy.
*Another benefit is that I get to hear this guy continue to sing the songs from the play...




8 comments:
So. I haven't checked your blog in forever (I almost gave up, assuming you just over the blogging thing). And, I just about jumped out of my seat when I saw you posted!!! Love your little guys. Gavin is the sweetest thing and still holds a place in my heart!
That's a cute video of Ezra singing. I love how he asks "I done mom?" haha
Sounds like a great experience for all of you. I'm sure it was amazing!
Seriously, could you raise mine for me? You do an awesome job!
I loved reading this and am so proud of all of you but especially Gavin. So sweet! Miss you Emily so much!
Gosh, somehow it made me comment 3 times. Must be b/c I really LOVED it! ;)
Post a Comment