Sunday, February 10, 2008

I swear I'm a good mom...

Photobucket
So while most people were sleeping last night, Spencer and I were in the Emergency Room with Gavin into the early morning hours. It began with dinner at IHOP (my 2 younger brothers joined us), then we went home and decided to drive our RC cars and ride bikes outside at 8:30pm. Somehow Gavin crashed on his bike without any of us noticing how he fell. He cried a little at first and then it became a screaming cry. My boys don't cry too long, they just get over it, so I knew something was wrong. When the crying got hysterical I decided it was time to take him in to the ER. Thank goodness my brothers were there to stay with my 2 other boys. Sure enough Gavin had broken the larger bone in his shin. He has what is called a 'spiral fracture' which is one of the worst breaks you can have. They said he must have twisted his leg as it was breaking, thus a spiral break down his bone. Thankfully they think we can get away without surgery but we go in tomorrow to get a full hip to toe cast. We asked for crutches and they said he was probably not coordinated enough to use them, so I informed them that he was riding a 2-wheeler bike, which he has ridden since he turned 3, when his leg broke, so I figured he was coordinated enough to do crutches. I feel so bad for him, and truthfully I feel bad for myself a little... it's going to be a long 2 months. Poor Gavin is only 3 years old, he broke his arm at 17 months, had stitches at 2, stitches again at 3, and now a broken leg. I swear I'm a good mom, I just have 3 very active little boys!

3 comments:

Brookie said...

Goodness Gracious! Lil Gav is just a time bomb! Hahaha jk, man I miss you!

Hemphill Family said...

Poor Gavin. I hope it heals fast.

Holly and Brad said...

Emily--You are a great mom and I wouldn't doubt that for a second! I am so sorry that you/Gavin have to go through that. See, this is why when my friends tell me "Oh just let him fall (down the stairs) Holly, he'll learn..." I am like, "Umm, will he? Or will I be stuck with a busted open head and child with a mild concussion?" I think its just as hard, if not harder, on the mom who has to take care of the injured child. But you'll do great...2 months will whiz by ;) But I will say, you have to take a picture of Gavin on the crutches...he will be so tiny and cute on those things.