Today Spencer came home for a bit during the boys' naptime (except Chase) so I jumped at the chance to run to the grocery store with just one child for once. I wanted to hurry so Spencer could get back to work. We got to the store and I had only put a few things in my cart when Chase asks me a question, here's how the conversation went (mind you, I'm in a hurry)...
CHASE: "Mommy, is it okay to pray to Heavenly Father for your birthday year?"
ME: (I thought he meant can he pray for his birthday to come sooner) "No, we just pray to Heavenly Father to help us make right choices."
CHASE: "But how did He pick my birthday?"
ME: (I now realize he's asking if we pray to choose the date we want a baby) "Well, Heavenly Father wanted you to come at a special time and that's when he sent you."
CHASE: "How does a baby get in your tummy?"
ME: (Oh geez, really? The grocery store is not the time or place for the birds and bees) "Remember I told you, Heavenly Father helps daddy get a baby in my tummy."
CHASE: "But Heavenly Father can't just come down and put a baby in your tummy, so how does it get in there?"
ME: (At this point I am starting to giggle partly because I was hoping nobody would walk down our isle, and partly because I wasn't sure what to say) "Well, um, the baby just grows in there."
CHASE: "So like do you open your mouth and the baby gets in there?"
ME: (Okay, I can't let him think that) "No, mommies have tiny eggs in their body and if a mommy and daddy love each other a baby can grow."
CHASE: "Oh! You mean like a chicken!"
ME: (Relieved) "Yes."
CHASE: "Then how come I didn't have a shell?"
ME: "Well, my tummy was like your shell."
CHASE: "Oh."
Phew, I escaped another one. How old are these kids supposed to be when you give them 'The Talk'? And I wonder who else heard our conversation from the next isle over...
16 years ago




7 comments:
Wow, I wish I could have been on the isle next to you. I would have been cracking up! How funny/horrifying for you. Not like I have any experience with this but I would say they are probably ready when they have the logic to not just let it go. When they are dead set on really finding out how that baby gets in there. Until then...keep dodging those bullets. I would, as long as I could. Who knows, he may ask again in a week, or maybe you'll luck out and he will wait a little while before that answer just didn't make sense to him. At any rate, good luck Emily!
Oh, and it turns out we aren't going to the family reunion, but of course we will be coming to CA for Erin's wedding from Aug 11-17th. (With the 2 being so close Brad couldn't get off for both occastions, so of course we chose Erin's wedding.)
We will be there Monday-Sunday but will be in San Diego Wed-Fri, and LA on Sat. so we for sure need to hang out early on in the week (like Mon. or Tues.) Chase would love love love to play with his cousins! Can't wait!!
I had better start thinking of a great story to tell Parker when he starts to ask those questions. I don't really think they need a huge explanation or that they even would understand it. Cute picture of the family!
I dont envy you at all... I dont think i would of known what to say
!
He is getting a little older and someday you will have to be truthful. I have found that when I really tell Jared and Katie, they don't ask anymore questions...they usually just want to be done. We do always start the conversation with..."I will tell you, but you can't tell your friends because their mom might not them to know all of this"
Up until then it is good to hear he thinks he is related to a chicken!!
haha... that's so funy and cute. I am not looking forward to the talk either...
It always happens when you're not expecting it. Brayden asked the same question a couple of years ago. As soon as they get the answer that they want to hear, they give up and move on. I'm not looking forward to have to explain the birds and bees truthfully. These kids are still so young! Great tactic though!
This was HILARIOUS!! I hope I can have a conversation like this with my kids someday. You did a great job.
Post a Comment