Tuesday, September 23, 2008

4 Little Fishies

Last Saturday was picture day and the opening carnival for soccer. The boys were looking forward to one thing... winning a goldfish. I'm sorry to announce that I am not a fan of having any pets, this includes fish. But whatever, I didn't want to break their hearts so we let them play and win goldfish. As luck would have it, Chase's bag had 2 goldfish in it. They named their goldfish right away. On the way home there was talk of fish food and a fish tank. Spencer and I pretty much ignored it because for heaven's sake they're goldfish, they're gonna die in like 5 minutes right? So we dumped the fish into a glass bowl and the boys enjoyed watching them swim around. That night after we put the boys to bed Spencer's conscience got the best of him and he said we should probably feed the fish. So he was off to find fish food. We fed the fish and went to bed. In the morning the bowl was really dirty and I reluctantly cleaned it. By the time we got home from church it was dirty again. That was it for me, but how could I break my kid's hearts. So I came up with a plan, maybe some would call it a lie. I told the boys that the fish were probably sad to be away from their families and that maybe, like Nemo, they want to get back to them. I told them that if we flushed them down the toilet they could go back to their families. Thank goodness my boys have a soft heart and decided it was a good idea. But first they wanted to say good bye. So we all went into my bathroom and sent them off to find their families. One more thing though... anyone need a big case of fish food?

One last swim in the toilet bowl

The big flush...

The boys were proud of themselves, and a little sad, to send the fish back to their families.

Wade is pointing out that the fish are gone

8 comments:

all that i love said...

I agree about the whole pet thing. I really don't want any pets because I would be the one that would have to keep them clean and fed. I already have two kids and I struggle to keep them "groomed" and fed. Parker really wants a dog as does Warren. Luckily we don't have a fence right now and Warren won't allow dogs in the house, so I'm off the hook for a while. I know this will be a battle I will be fighting well into the future with my kids.

Angela said...

That is sooo funny. Little did you know that if we had taken care of them they would have been dead in the first hour. One year our friends gave Zeth a fish, fish bowl and food for Christmas. By morning the fish was dead, we felt bad so we went out and bought another fish. Still not even a day and we were on our third fish. Needless to say it didn't last only a day or two so we cleaned the bowl and put it away and decided that we were not fish people!

Meghan said...

Isaac has 6 fish!!! If I would have known we would have come and saved their lives! :)

Anne Marie said...

Sooooo funny! Pretty good way of not having to deal with the maintainance (sp?) of the most annoying pet ever. Good job!

Shalece said...

That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Tricky mommy :) I love pets, but I hate fish. They just die too fast. Even though you have them only a day or two, something about a dead animal makes me sad. We tried the fish thing, didn't work!!

Michele said...

You crack me up. Lucky for you they bought it! Wait until it's a hamster.....
Hope you're feeling good, my pregnant friend:)
Love, Michele

Anne Marie said...

You're so quick!! :) Thanks for the comments!

Amy said...

Nice thinking....we tried the same thing with frogs but Jared and Katie were too wise for that. We had to slowly let them die...it was a painful month.