Monday, January 26, 2009

Am I Being Fired as his Stylist???

This morning as I was getting Chase dressed for school in his jeans, patterned thermal shirt, short-sleeved plaid button up shirt, hat and belt he said to me, "Mom, why do you always have to dress me so pretty? Why can't I just wear a t- shirt and hat everyday like all the other kids?" At first my reaction, that I kept to myself, was 'Geez, don't be so ungrateful.' But it made me realize, I do have a problem. I like fashion and I love to put outfits together for my boys too. (Even Spencer has fallen victim). My boys are good sports and never complain, they just let me put them in whatever I want to. But now Chase is getting older and starting to have a little bit of an opinion. I've dreaded this day. I just don't know if I'm ready to let go of control and let him pick out his own outfits. I let him pick out his own play outfits to wear outside, isn't that good enough? Is it appropriate for a mom to still be picking out her high school son's outfits?? I guess I'll just see how much longer I can actually drag this out.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Poor kid just wants to look like a kid you obsessive control freak! :) He does look pretty darn stylish though......

wenselgang said...

It's a good thing you don't have girls! My girls (7 & 6) told me they didn't want me to do their hair anymore. WOW! You should see the beautiful creations they come up with. How do I politely tell them that their hair looks like a complete mess without destroying their self - esteem? Oh the Joys! By the way, it doesn't matter what your boys wear - they always look cute!

Anne Marie said...

Welcome to the world of holy jeans and ragged t-shirts! I do love how you dress your boys. Mainly because Brayden won't let me dress him that way at all!

Anne Marie said...

PS. How did you keep your pictures on the side still big? Mine went small for some reason. Very handsome boys!

Amy said...

You do produce a very stylish boy. I will tell you though that you will experience a raise when you STOP being so fashionable with the boys. Maybe you could compromise and let him choose out his outfit on Friday...kinda a casual Friday like a lot of offices offer. Baby steps is the best way. I am sure his wife will not appreciate you coming over each Sunday to lay out his week's worth of outfits.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel to bad, I just recently let Katie (10) pick out her own clothes. She does "okay" but there are still times I have to "advise her" of certain things. I used to give her two choices, (ones I picked out) so it was like SHE was choosing.

Cassandra said...

How funny...Aubrey rarely lets me pick out her clothes anymore. Some days I am just grateful that we don't have to leave the house!